Neck pain is a common complaint. More than 50% of adults, experience neck pain at some point, and this percentage increases more than 30% by the time we reach 60 years old. But, what causes neck pain?
First of all, there is usually an overload of stress. It can be physical such as lifting an object that was too heavy, or simply an accumulation of poor posture in general. The latter is neck pain’s most common cause. Most of us are guilty of holding a bad posture in our every day lives, specially when we lean over our computer, or the posture most of us acquire when looking at our smartphones.
Rarely, neck pain can be a symptom of a more serious problem. A muscle strain also is a common cause of neck pain most commonly seen in athletes. However, when we overuse our neck muscles by being too many hours hunched over our tablets, computers or smartphones, it can often triggers muscle strains as well. Even minor things, such as reading in bed or gritting your teeth, can strain neck muscles.
Your neck is flexible and supports the weight of your head, so it can be vulnerable to injuries and conditions that cause pain and restrict motion, but there are many effective ways to treat this common condition, especially with Kinesiology Taping Technology. We learned all about it on a previous post. Make sure to take a look at it here.
- Apply the tape to clean skin. This means no oils or lotions of any kind. If you had applied them earlier in the day or the day before, use alcohol (ideal) or soap and water to clean the application area, and make sure the skin is very dry before application.
- The less hair the better. This means that for best results you will need to trim any long hair or shave the area. Ideally we want the tape to adhere to the skin, not to the hair.
- The tape should last 3-5 days. It can get wet when you are showering, or if you do a water exercise, just towel dry it after using a padding action, not rubbing to avoid lifting the corners of the tape.
- Don’t use a hair dryer on the area, the tape is heat activated.
- If you are applying the tape before exercising, apply it one hour before you start your routine.
Even though most cases of neck pain improve gradually with this innovative treatment there are some specific cases when you should see your doctor. For example:
- If severe neck pain results from an injury, such as a motor vehicle accident, diving accident or fall.
- If it’s severe and persists for several days without relief.
- When the pain spreads down arms or legs or if is accompanied by headache, numbness, weakness or tingling.
Share with us: Have you suffered from Neck Pain too often? Have you tried TARGET TAPE® to get a faster recovery? Don’t be shy and leave your feedback or topic suggestions, we’d like to hear what you have to say! Leave your opinion on the comments below or in our Facebook and Twitter accounts and join the conversation.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by our Blog!